Before heading to Napa, there was one restaurant on the must do list – – benu. Deciding on the tasting menu was an adventure unto itself, eighteen courses. This was hedonism at its best and I was totally willing and able. When you step into this oasis of flavors and combinations meant to stimulate your palate, as well as, your mind you best come prepared. This ain’t for those who know it all. It’s for those willing to experience it all. Starting with the thousand year old quail egg and ending with chocolates, the evening was simply amazing.
1. Schloss Gobelsberg, Steinsetz, Gruner Veltliner, Kamptal, Austria 2008
2. Wakatake, Onikoroshi “Demon Slayer”, Junmai Daiginjo, Shizuoka, Japan
3. Pfeffingen, Scheurebe, trocken, Pfalz, Germany 2009
4. Maestro Sierra, Oloroso sherry, 15-yr., Jerez, Spain
5. Rodenbach, Flemish red brown ale, Belgium 2007
6. Monchhoff, Urzig Wurzgarten, Riesling kabinett, Mosel, Germany 2010
7. Blandy’s Verdelho, Madeira, Portugal 1968
8. Lioco, Pinot Noir, Anderson Valley 2009
9. Clos St. Jean Chateauneuf-du-Pape, rouge, Rhone, France 2008
10. Domaine du Fresche, Anjou coteaux de la Loire, France 2009
Benu….the return is very necessary.